Perfectly Modded

Modding done right!

HomeHome  WebsiteWebsite  PublicationsPublications  YouTubeYouTube  TwitchTwitch  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hakim3i
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 pm

if you simply can't do it but still want to play SPM then use Virtual drive tested with SPM 4.4 work like a charm for instruction how to use virtual drive use the following link https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg318052%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
basically it will create a virtual hard disk with the given size it will take your hard disk space to simulate.
I recommend using dynamic size instead of fixed size.
you will need te mount the virtual drive every time you bootup windows.
It work on windows 7/8/10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:21 am

Mod organizer already uses virtualization technology to load a big part of the mods used in the pack,adding virtualization on top of virtualization can lead to bad things, never got around to test this so it might be ok , might be not.

hakim3i
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Played all day yesterday and also tried to do some modification to your pack still did not encounter any problem, MO think it is working on normal hard drive and it use directory virtualization so should not be a problem I keep in touch if it cause any problem.

Thank you for your work can't wait for 5.0 =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laguna
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 am

I setup symbolic links from a RAM-Disk for SPM 4.4, worked out pretty well.

Though, I am curious as to why you would need to shrink or modify the partition for SPM?

Is this to increase performance or something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 am

@Laguna wrote:
Though, I am curious as to why you would need to shrink or modify the partition for SPM?
Is this to increase performance or something?

Well firstly you don't actually shrink a partition as is no space is getting lost(you do by taking away space)but actually creating another one (partition/drive letter etc)

Well the way i see it people like to keep they Skyrim on different partition drives C:\ , D:\ , G:\ and so forth.
Having a general rule that it should be just in X:\Skyrim serves three purposes :

1.It takes away confusion on where the pack should be.
2.The pack and it's tools already point out to X:\Skyrim so people won't have to modify .ini paths and possibly mess up load order or the whole install.
3.Makes is possible to have multiple Skyrim installations in different locations as the pack uses the .ini files from the profiles and leaves very little traces in other places like documents folder, pack is very portable in this format.

Lord Gilgamesh
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

PostSubject: BEST PRACTICE   Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am

Partitioning your hard drives and making an isolated space for a game and all of it's mods and modding software is great practice as it effectively isolates it from the rest of your computer. I now have external hard drives partitioned for all Bethesda games as well as any other moddable game I have
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slider9669
Serious poster
Serious poster

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

@Lord Gilgamesh wrote:
Partitioning your hard drives and making an isolated space for a game and all of it's mods and modding software is great practice as it effectively isolates it from the rest of your computer. I now have external hard drives partitioned for all Bethesda games as well as any other moddable game I have
I also agree to this as its just very useful to do for so many reasons so what dis guy said ^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM   

Back to top Go down

you do not have to shrink your volume or make new partition for SPM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Perfectly Modded :: Forum :: SPM 5-
Jump to:  

Free counters!